The findings of the ORION public dialogue on genome editing in life sciences research were presented at an event on 11th March 2021. The findings bring together four public dialogue events held in the United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden and Czech Republic during 2019-2020. The dialogues sought to explore public attitudes to fundamental life sciences research when revolutionary genome editing technologies are used in order to understand when and how to engage audiences with emerging technologies. The public dialogue also sought to understand how public engagement strategies might differ between countries.
The public dialogue was a collaboration between the following ORION partners the Babraham Institute (Cambridge, UK), the Max Delbrück Centre for Molecular Medicine (Berlin, Germany), the Central European Institute of Technology (Brno, Czech Republic) and VA Public & Science (Stockholm, Sweden) and was conducted by Ipsos MORI on behalf of the ORION project.
Find out more about the key findings in the press release and the findings from each dialogue in the reports compiled by Ipsos MORI. A recording from the launch event and the presentations made by the speakers can be found below.
Programme of the event (click on the titles to view the slides):
Introduction to ORION project - Alexandros Nikolaou, CRG
Overview ORION public dialogue on genome editing - Emma Martinez, Babraham Institute
Main project findings and findings per country
Similarities and differences across countries - David Hills, Ipsos MORI
Personal experiences: Researchers perspectives on participating in the dialogue
- Tomas Moravec Head of the Laboratory, Institute of Experimental Botany of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Czech Republic
- Dr Andreas Ofenbauer (former MDC scientist), Germany
- Fredrik Wermeling, Researcher, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- Dr Carine Stapel, Marie Curie Fellow, Babraham Institute, UK
For more information about the public dialogues or this event please see the recording of the event below or on YouTube. You may also get in touch with Emma Martinez, Public Engagement Officer at the Babraham Institute.
- Public Dialogue reports
- How to guide - Public Dialogue
- Let's talk about genome editing
- New ways to opening up life sciences research
- Public dialogue to spur engagement? ORION at Engage 2020